Gemstones have been sought after and treasured throughout history.
Generally, the price of any gemstone is determined by: size, cut, quality (color/clarity/treatments), and type. Here are some questions to ask about quality:
- Has it been treated?
- Is the stone natural or synthetic?
- Are there any noticeable scratches, chips or inclusions?
- Is the color even throughout the stone?
- How good is the color? (Is it vivid?)
- If you are buying the stones for earrings or cufflinks, are the stones well matched?
There are many ways that dealers treat gemstones.
The savvy buyer asks lots of questions and hopefully tests the results. Here are some treatments to look for…